Saturday, November 23, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites


I consider myself to be a pretty healthy eater: I have good portion control, I try to avoid fried foods and heavy cream sauces, and I try not to eat out too often. However, with all of that being said, I have quite the sweet tooth. I seem to always crave something chocolatey and delicious after a savory meal. Typically, a piece of dark Dove chocolate will satisfy me and prevent me from delving into something incredibly rich and unhealthy. Tonight, however, a little piece of chocolate just wasn't gonna cut it! 

I decided to come up with a concoction containing dark chocolate, because that happens to be my very favorite superfood. This concoction turned into a delicious treat that I know you are going to love. It's also something that you can store in an airtight storage container and have in the freezer for weeks- even months! These are the perfect little desserts for me after dinner, and I'm so happy they turned out so yummy.  Hope you enjoy, and just so you all know, this will be the first of MANY dark chocolate recipes. :)




Dark chocolate is a superfood because of its high level of antioxidants  Antioxidants help keep the heart healthy and prevent cardiovascular disease. Dark chocolate also improves blood flow to the brain, in turn improving cognitive functions. Lastly, dark chocolate is said to encourage your brain to release endorphins, thereby promoting feelings of happiness. (You sold yet?) :)





Ingredients:
3 bananas
1.5 cups dark chocolate chips
Peanut butter or almond butter

Directions:
1) Slice bananas into 1/4 inch pieces
2) Spread almond butter, peanut butter, or whatever kind of nut butter you have on one piece of banana and place another piece of banana over top to create a sandwich
3) Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 2 minutes- stirring halfway to avoid burning 
4) Dip each banana "sandwich" in the chocolate and place on parchment covered baking sheet
5) Freeze the chocolatey bites for 2 hours and enjoy!
(As mentioned before, put these in an airtight container and they will last a long time)

*Recipe makes about 20-25 bites*

No comments:

Post a Comment