Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blackberry Peanut Butter "Oatie"


I have been on a total "smoothie-kick" lately. It is so easy to make a delicious smoothie with practically anything you have on hand. I've been experimenting by using different kinds of fruit, different kinds of milk, and different kinds of nut butters. I've also been making a conscious effort to only use natural sweeteners like honey, agave, and fruit. For some added fiber and nutrition, I also decided to add some old fashioned oats.

When I was in college there was an awesome cereal and yogurt shop that specialized in "oaties." Oaties were just a cute name for milkshakes or smoothies packed with delicious oats. I decided to re-invent this yummy treat, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

The superfood I'm focusing on today is raw cacao powder. You can see this featured below. I ordered mine from amazon.com, but they sell it at Whole Foods and many Homegoods and Tjmaxx stores as well. 



Raw cacao powder is the purest form of the cacao bean. It's milled at low temperatures to protect its nutrients and flavor and is not processed in any way. Raw cacao is packed with antioxidants which promote blood circulation and can help lower your risk of many diseases. 

The best part of this recipe is how versatile it is. Don't be afraid to change things up- you won't ruin it, I promise! Be creative and have fun!


Ingredients:
1 banana- frozen and chopped
3/4 cup blackberries
1 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp raw cacao powder 
1/8 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1 pitted date 
4-6 ice cubes

Directions:
1) Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment