Sunday, March 9, 2014

Quadruple Coconut Oatmeal



I feel like coconut is one of those things that you either love or hate. I personally adore it and always have since I was a kid. I love it in sweet dishes (especially chocolate) and in savory dishes like fish or chicken. I've been reading a bunch of coconut oatmeal recipes and decided it was time I try out a recipe for myself.

I call this quadruple coconut oatmeal because this recipe incorporates shredded coconut, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. I realize that the majority of people don't have coconut sugar in their pantry like I do, so feel free to substitute brown sugar or granulated sugar. Additionally, if you don't have coconut oil you can substitute olive oil when you toast the oats. 



I have shared with you a slow cooker oatmeal recipe before- in fact I believe this was my very first posting! I thought I would show you how easy it is to swap in a few different ingredients to create an entirely different tasting oatmeall. I hope you have fun with this recipe!



My superfood of the week is flax seed. Flax seeds contain omega 3 fatty acids which are said to help lower blood pressure and keep your heart healthy. Additionally, flax seeds contain lignans which have been said to reduce the risk of breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men. If these benefits aren't enough for you, flax seeds happen to be an excellent source of fiber and protein which will keep you feeling full and satisfied.


Ingredients:
1 tbsp. coconut oil
2 cups steel cut oats
4 cups coconut milk
4 cups water
3 tbsp. coconut sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. flax seeds
3 tbsp. shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Directions:
1) Melt coconut oil over medium high heat
2) Add oats and cook for a few minutes or until they smell nutty and fragrant
3) Add oats to crock pot (I lined mine with a non-stick slow cooker bag)
4) Add the rest of the ingredients the slow cooker
5) Cook on low for 4 hours
6) Add additional milk if necessary  
7) Top with bananas, walnuts, or whatever you'd like! 


No comments:

Post a Comment