Thursday, July 10, 2014

Salmon with Creamy Dijon and Panko Crust


I belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) nearby where I participate in the produce farm share as well as the local New England Fish share. I was thrilled this past week to find that the local fish was wild salmon. I've blogged a salmon recipe before so I think you all know how much I love cooking this delicious fish. For this recipe, I decided to use ingredients I had on hand so I didn't have to make an extra trip to the grocery store.



I want to highlight in this recipe that you can really change around all of the ingredients to make it work for you and what's available in YOUR kitchen. I used both mayo and creme fraishe in my creamy dijon sauce but you could substitute sour cream or even Greek yogurt. I also used fresh chives that I happened to have from the farmer's market, but you could always substitute diced onions, scallions or even dried chives. 

Lastly, I got basil in my produce share this week so I used that on top of the fish to give it some brightness. If you don't have basil- don't worry! Use any herb you have on hand- parsley, tarragon, cilantro- whatever. 



The bottom line is- this recipe is SO easy and SO versatile. Don't go to the market to buy specific ingredients, use what you have and I'll betcha it'll be super delicious!

Salmon is bursting with nutritional value. It's loaded with omega 3's which are said to reduce the risk of heart disease and possibly prevent certain cancers. One of the omega 3's salmon contains is DHA which helps improve cognitive functions. Lastly, salmon provides bioactive protein molecules which can help reduce inflammation in the body and promote join health.




Ingredients:
1 pound wild salmon (or farm raised if you can't find wild)
3 tbsp. finely chopped chives
1 tbsp. olive oil mayo (or light mayo)
1 tbsp. creme fraishe 
1 tbsp. grainy dijon mustard (regular dijon is fine too)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 lemon zested and cut into wedges
6-10 basil leaves
cooking spray

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray
3) Pat salmon dry and place on baking sheet
4) Mix 2 tbsp of the chives, mayo, creme fraishe, and mustard in a bowl
5) Place mixture on top of fish until evenly coated
6) Add panko to the top of coated fish and press with a spoon to adhere
7) Spray top with non-stick baking spray
8) Bake for 22-28 minutes or until cooked through
9) Meanwhile zest the lemon and cut it into wedges.
10)Chiffonade basil and set aside- How to Chiffonade Basil
11) When salmon is cooked through add zested lemon, basil, and remaining chives and garnish with lemon wedges
12) Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment