Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring Vegetable Matzah Ball Soup


To me, this soup is a big warm bowl of comfort. It's the soup I grew up eating at family dinners and get-togethers. It is my grandmother, Myra's, famous Spring Vegetable Matzah Ball Soup! To this day, my grandmother continues to make her soup every single Passover. Nobody else ever attempts to make it because they know it wouldn't turn out as delicious as hers. 

This year I am unable to travel home for Passover, so I decided I would whip up a batch of her famous soup to almost make me feel like I am back home with my family.


I'm sure there are many of you reading this who have never tasted matzah ball soup before. If this is true, I highly suggest you make this one. It's different from your traditional matzah ball soup because it has almost every veggie you could imagine in it-- sweet potato, russet potato, asparagus, mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, celery, and onion. 



Because this was my very first time making this soup, I was terrified it wasn't going to turn out. I am so pleased to tell you however, that it came out SO delicious and almost as tasty as when my grandmother cooks it herself. 

The secret to my grandmother's recipe is that it calls for most of the veggies to be grated. Grating the vegetables allows them to break down quickly in the soup and marries all of the delicious flavors together.



This is a family recipe that has been passed down for generations. Luckily it's not a secret recipe so I am more than happy to share it with my reader-friends. I truly hope you try it out and that you love it as much as my family and I do.



There are SO many superfoods in this soup. In fact, 80% of the ingredients are superfoods! I decided to discuss asparagus as my superfood for this week. Asparagus is truly what makes  the soup so springlike pretty. Asparagus contains Vitamin B6 which can help to regulate blood sugar. Asparagus also contains the antioxidant Glutathione which helps keep skin healthy and protects it from sun damage. This veggie is also a natural diuretic which can help flush the body of toxins and excess sodium which can in turn prevent kidney stones. Lastly, asparagus contains a healthy dose of protein and fiber which is essential for healthy digestion. 



Ingredients:
1 box matzah ball mix (don't buy the soup mix, just the mix for the balls)
vegetable oil (whatever amount the box tells you to add
eggs (whatever amount the box tells you to add)
2 carrots- peeled
1 parsnip-peeled
2 small sweet potatoes- peeled
2 small or 1 large russet potato- peeled
1/2 large onion
2 ribs celery- diced
1 lb. asparagus- diced
1 lb. baby portobello mushrooms- sliced
8 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dill- chopped
salt to taste

Directions:
1) Make matzah balls according to package instructions. I used both packets in the box which made about 18 balls. 
2) Refrigerate matzah balls for at least 1 hour or overnight in a sealed container. 
3) When the balls are cool, cut them into quarters and set aside.
4) Set up food processor with a grater attachment. Add onion, carrots, parsnip, sweet potatoes, and russet potatoes. 
5) Add the above grated veggies into a dutch oven
6) Add the sliced mushrooms and celery on top of the grated vegetables
7) Pour the stock and diced tomatoes on top of the vegetables. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
8) Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium and cook UNCOVERED (this is important) for 15 minutes.
9) Add asparagus, dill, and matzah balls and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until matzah balls are cooked through.
10) Taste for seasoning and add 1/2 tsp. of salt if necessary.
11) Serve in big bowls and enjoy!
*This should make about 8 generous servings 

No comments:

Post a Comment