Thursday, April 16, 2015

Skinny Baked Eggplant Parm





Oh man do I love me some eggplant parm. One would think that ordering this vegetarian dish at a restaurant would be healthy, but it is actually one of the most unhealthy meals you can get while dining out. Typically the eggplant is dipped in white bread crumbs and then fried in a ton of vegetable oil and smothered in cheese. Now don't get me wrong, it's delicious, but it's definitely not a "light" meal.



I've been wanting to recreate eggplant parm for a while, but I've sort of been intimated. I didn't want it to turn out dry or taste too "healthy." This past weekend I decided to give it a whirl and I am very pleased with the results.

I used whole wheat bread crumbs to add some protein and fiber to the dish and I baked the eggplant in the oven instead of frying it. Additionally, I used fresh buffalo mozzarella which is so divine that you only need the tiniest amount per eggplant slice to really make it cheesey. 



For the marinara sauce, I used Wegman's Organic Chunky Marinara which I absolutely love. You could definitely opt to make the sauce yourself, but if you want something quick and easy just grab a jar.

If you want to know why eggplant is so great for you, check out my Eggplant Meatball recipe where I discuss its health benefits here.



Ingredients:
2 Eggplants sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1-2 jars of marinara- depending on how much sauce you like
1 ball fresh mozzarella- sliced into thin pieces
2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
3 eggs
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
salt to taste
handful of chopped basil for topping

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Cover 2 baking sheets with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3) Whisk eggs with red pepper flakes and a dash of salt in one dish.
4) In another dish mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan.
5) Start by dipping each piece of eggplant into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumb mixture then place on the baking sheet.
6) Repeat with all of the eggplant.
7) Bake for 15 minutes.
8) Meanwhile heat tomato sauce in a pot on the stove until hot.
8) When the 15 minutes is up, flip each piece of eggplant over so the crispy side is facing up. Top each piece with a spoonful of sauce and a thin piece of mozzarella.
9) Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly
10) Top with basil and more sauce and enjoy :)
*This recipe makes about 8 servings

1 comment: