Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas



I am always looking for new healthy snacks to bring to work. I recently discovered roasted chickpeas and instantly fell in love. They are crispy, and crunchy and incredibly good for you.



This is the first time I have ever made them at home, and let me tell you- they are SO easy to make. I made a spicy, savory version, but I think next time I will try a cinnamon sugar variation.  Feel free to customize this recipe and make it your own!



Chickpeas are packed with nutrients. To read about the health benefits click on one of my other recipes here.

Ingredients:
2 cans chick peas- rinsed and drained
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
1. Pour drained chick peas into a bowl lined with paper towels. Lie more paper towels on top and sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. 
2. While the chickpeas drain, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Prepare spice mix by mixing paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and sea salt into a small bowl.
4. Add chick peas onto a large baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes- stirring halfway through.
5. Add chickpeas to the same bowl you used earlier and coat with olive oil. Add spice mix and stir to combine.
6. Place back on baking sheet and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until crispy, stirring halfway through again.
7. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before eating.
*Note- I wound up re-crisping mine the next day as I did not let them cook enough the first time. Make sure when you take them out of the oven that they are very crunchy!

No comments:

Post a Comment