Sunday, October 6, 2013

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze


For the longest time I refused to eat brussel sprouts. I don’t remember why I harbored such negative feelings about the poor vegetable, but I somehow had them on my list of foods I dislike. A few years ago, I was out to dinner, and to my shock, my entrée came out with roasted brussel sprouts! If I would have known this, I would have requested a different side dish. I decided to “man up” and taste the veggies and to my surprise I absolutely loved them! They were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside and had a beautiful caramelization to them. After tasting them that night, I was hooked and started cooking them all the time at home. When I cook them, I always roast them in the oven. I’m convinced that boiling them completely depletes them of their flavor, not to mention their nutrients! I have never tried pan frying them but that might be a tasty option as well.

My typical roasted brussel sprout recipe consists of tossing them in a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Tonight, however, I decided to kick it up a notch. I recently discovered balsamic glaze. Different from the traditional balsamic vinegar, balsamic glaze is thick and creamy and totally luxurious. (You can find the glaze at the regular supermarket in the condiment section.) I thought mixing the sprouts in the glaze would make for an interesting side dish. I threw in some toasted slivered almonds, a few dried cranberries, and some lemon zest, and voila! I made the best brussel sprouts I have ever tasted! I know, I know, I sound obnoxious, but they really were amazing, and I’m convinced you will love them too!


Brussel sprouts are a super food because they are in the cruciferous family. Cruciferous vegetables are said to contain cancer-preventive components. This vegetable is also very low in sodium and cholesterol and packed full of fiber. Even if you think you hate this vegetable, give my recipe a try- I really think it’ll change your mind on these little green super food gems J

Ingredients:
1 lb. bag of brussel sprouts
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
3 tbsp. balsamic glaze
½ tsp lemon zest
¼ cup dried cranberries


Directions:
1)      Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2)      Slice brussel sprouts in half and remove excess skin
3)      Place halves on foil covered baking sheet and toss with sea salt, olive oil, and honey
4)      Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 20 minutes, flipping the brussel sprouts halfway
5)      Toss the sprouts with balsamic glaze, lemon zest, almonds, and cranberries
6)      Eat and enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment