Monday, September 30, 2013

Quinoa Fried "Rice"




I love fried rice but I rarely eat it anymore because it’s typically very greasy and salty. However, a few years ago, my grandmother told me a simple way to make fried rice at home that cuts back on the sodium and fat. I make this version with white rice all the time and it’s delicious!  When I started discovering super foods, I realized that I could probably make this recipe with quinoa instead. I have to tell you, I do not miss the white rice at all. The quinoa adds a nuttiness and wonderful crunchy texture to the dish. I also don’t feel nearly as guilty eating it because it packs in so much nutrition and really keeps me full. 



Quinoa is a super food because it is loaded with fiber and protein. In fact, it has more protein than any other grain. It’s also naturally gluten free so if you happen to be gluten intolerant, this is the perfect grain for you.

I like to make this as a side dish or even a snack during the weekend. You can easily double the recipe and have an easy work time lunch for yourself all week long. I was contemplating even posting this recipe because it’s SO easy to make and I feel kind of guilty! I am one of those people, though, that really appreciates a simple healthy recipe, so I really hope you do as well. 

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa rinsed
½ onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
½ cup carrots finely chopped
½ cup celery finely chopped
2 eggs- scrambled
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
1)      Rinse and drain quinoa in a mesh strainer.
2)      Cook quinoa according to package directions.
3)      While quinoa cooks, finely chop your vegetables.
4)      Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and coat with olive oil.
5)      Stir in veggies and cook 7-8 minutes or until tender.
6)      Scramble eggs in a separate bowl then mix into the veggie mixture and cook through.
7)      Add cooked quinoa to the skillet and pour in soy sauce.
8)      Mix together until blended and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Keep those quinoa recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete