Monday, November 18, 2013

Mom's Purple Potatoes with Winter Pesto


This recipe and narrative comes right from my guest blogger, my mom:

Greetings from the kitchen of guest blogger, Elyse. While not a trained cook, I've been cooking since I could reach the stove. I've never taken a formal cooking class, but own over 100 cookbooks and thousands of newspaper clippings and torn magazine pages. I dream food, and wake up salivating for the recipes of my reverie. For me, cooking is at once a relaxing past time and an exhilarating and joyful confluence of all five senses. Just the smell and sizzle of onions in a fry pan puts me in the zone, and shuts out the worries, distractions, and  stress of a bad day.

As the weather turns cold and the sun sets early, I find myself yearning for the vivid colors and bright flavors of Indian summer long gone. No worries, because Nature's colorful palette is still full of  surprises. Throughout the year, but especially in winter, purple reigns supreme. This royal shade comes from anthocyanins, which are disease fighting antioxidants. Purple cabbage, kohlrabi, and potatoes are not just pretty, but full of nutritional power as well. Research on anthocyanins indicates they may be effective in preventing certain cancers, reducing the risk of heart disease, and improving eyesight. This week's recipe is for: 



Purple Potatoes With Winter Pesto (Serves 4)

4 medium size purple potatoes, scrubbed well and boiled in a pot of salted water for 40 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife. Cool until easy to handle. 

Winter Pesto:
1 cup packed flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, basil, mint, oregano or any combination of green herbs
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Blend all in blender or food processor, while potatoes are cooking.
Stir in 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste.

1) Peel and slice potatoes, and top with winter pesto. 
2) To round out the meal, serve on a bed of cooked lentils and/or top with a poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment