Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pumpkin Hummus



I truly cannot believe it's November already! It feels like this year is just flying by. The good news is, we still have an entire month left of pumpkin season! I warn you that this will not be my last pumpkin posting. I am totally in love with pumpkin. I like it in sweet dishes, I like it in savory dishes, I like it flavored in coffee, I pretty much like it in everything.

This is a very special guest blog post, as it comes from my wonderful mother. She is one of the biggest reasons why I decided to start this blog and why I've become obsessed with super foods. She is one of the healthiest eaters and chefs that I've ever met. I think it took me until college to realize how good I had it when I lived at home and ate her meals for dinner!

Anyway, my mom was reading about fun and creative recipes with pumpkin and came across a pumpkin hummus recipe. Being the adventurous cook that she is, she decided to recreate the recipe with her own unique flare. 



This hummus is so versatile. It can be eaten with something sweet like apples, or paired with salty crackers or pita chips. It is also a beautiful color, and the perfect appetizer to bring to a party or a friend's house. 

This recipe calls for Tahini which is a paste made from sesame seeds. It has the same texture and consistency as peanut butter. Most grocery stores now carry Tahini but if you can't find it- substitute good quality olive oil. It will have a different taste and texture to the hummus but will still be delicious!

Pumpkin is a super food for so many reasons. First off, it is extremely high in fiber and low in calories- which is always a plus. It has many disease fighting nutrients such as Vitamin C, Magnesium, and Potassium. Pumpkin also has an immense amount of Carotenoids. Carotenoids are a fat soluble compound that exists in many plants. Carotenoids are said to promote health and ward off diseases- particularly cancer. 



Ingredients:
1 16.oz Can Chick Peas
1 Cup Canned Pumpkin 
4. Tbsp Tahini 
1/4 Cup Shallots- diced. (drizzle these in olive oil and roast in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes prior to making the recipe)
1 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 Tsp. Cumin
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 Tbsp Tamari or Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp. Crystallized Ginger- chopped (optional)
1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika (optional)

Directions:
1) Blend first 8 ingredients in blender of food processor. *Do not over blend or it will become too watery
2) Pour into serving bowl and stir in optional ingredients, if desired. 
3) Pair with chips, crackers, apples, or whatever dippers you have on hand.
4) Eat up and enjoy this super hummus!

No comments:

Post a Comment