Monday, December 2, 2013

Miso Glazed Salmon


Salmon is my favorite fish to cook at home: You can find good quality salmon at almost every grocery store (this particular one is from Whole Foods), it's easy to cook, and it's so versatile. For this recipe, I decided to make a Miso glaze. I've had a Miso glazed Cod before at one of my favorite Japanese restaurants in Philadelphia, and I decided I could probably recreate the sauce and make it with delicious salmon. 

This recipe calls for Mirin wine which is a very mild, sweet Japanese wine. If you've had Eel sauce in sushi, you've tried it. I got mine at a local wine store for $8.99 (as you can see by the silly sticker that wouldn't come off) but they also carry it at Whole Foods. 


In the summer, the salmon would probably be delicious grilled, but since the winter is here (sigh) I baked mine in the oven and it came out perfectly. I served it with a quinoa pilaf with cranberries and walnuts, but you could really serve it along side any starch of your choosing. 

I decided to focus on the superfood of Miso even though Salmon is also a superfood. In a few weeks, I will post another salmon recipe and will discuss its health benefits at that time.


Miso is known to help the digestive system by restoring the intestines with probiotics. It also strengthens the immune system and helps lower bad cholesterol. The most impressive health benefit of this superfood however, is that is said to reduce the risk of breast, colon, prostate and lung cancer. 

Ingredients:
1 lb. Salmon
1/4 cup Mirin wine
1/4 cup white Miso paste (I got mine at Whole Foods)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. rice vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp. grated ginger
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Mix wine, Miso paste, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, garlic, and ginger in a bowl and set aside
2) Line a baking pan with foil and spray with non stick spray. 
3) Pat salmon dry with a paper towel and lay on the prepared baking pan
4) Pour half of the marinade on the salmon and bake for 20 minutes
5) Top cooked salmon with sesame seeds, cilantro, and remaining sauce
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment