Thursday, December 26, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana "Smoothshake"



It's funny how your taste buds change over time. When I was younger, there were certain foods that I did not like at all including pizza and peanut butter- can you imagine? Today, however, peanut butter happens to be one of my most favorite foods ever. My recipe today includes peanut butter which I have recently found out is a superfood. Perfect, right?

I have started to become adventurous and started trying different nut butters including cashew butter and almond butter. While I like these different kinds, in my mind, nothing beats peanut butter. Nowadays, it is so easy to find all-natural peanut butter at any grocery store. If you happen to live near a Whole Foods you can actually grind your own peanuts and make the freshest kind of peanut butter imaginable! This is what I used today.




I decided to create what I call a "Smoothshake" because I'm so sick of eating Luna bars or other protein bars after the gym. I was craving something creamy and luxurious with a ton of protein and this did just the trick. In fact, this smoothshake has over 35 grams of protein in one single glass! I had mine as a lunch substitute after my workout but it'd also make for a great breakfast. I call it a smoothshake because it has the consistency of a milkshake with the health benefits of a smoothie. 

Since I wanted the texture to be thick and creamy, I only used a small amount if ice. If you like yours a bit thinner and colder I would recommend adding more ice cubes or perhaps freezing the slices of banana. In fact- I might try that next time.




Peanuts are loaded with Omega 3 Fatty Acids which are said to reduce the risk of heart disease. They also contain more protein than any other nut and have a ton of fiber.  


Ingredients:
1 banana sliced (freeze if you have time)
2 1/2 tbsp. all natural creamy peanut butter (unsalted)
1 tsp. honey
6-10 ice cubes (depending on the consistency you like)
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup 1% milk

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a blender until desired consistency is reached
2) Pour in glass and enjoy

*Makes one large glass worth (1-2 servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment