Sunday, November 30, 2014

Turkey Waldorf Salad



I hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving! This was my first time hosting this year, and I couldn't be more pleased with how the meal turned out! I think hosting Thanksgiving is genius because you are left with SO many delicious leftovers. 

After the third night of hot turkey and gravy, I decided I had enough of it. I still had three entire gallon size zip-lock bags worth of meat though, so I decided to whip up some turkey salad.




This is my grandmother's recipe for Waldorf turkey salad. I typically use chicken in this recipe, but turkey works perfectly as well. The Waldorf salad combines crunchy celery, sweet apples, toasted walnuts and a hint lemon juice to brighten the whole thing up.  Yum!



White meat turkey happens to be a superfood! Turkey contains Vitamin B which is essential for energy production in the body. Regular consumption of turkey can help keep insulin levels steady and reduce bad cholesterol. Turkey also contains the amino acid Tryptophan which produces serotonin. Serotonin is necessary for maintaining a healthy immune system. 



Ingredients:
2 cups shredded turkey breast
3 tbsp. light mayo
3 ribs celery chopped
1 apple diced
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/2 lemon- juiced

Directions:
1) Lightly toast walnuts in a skillet over medium heat. Watch carefully as they burn very quickly. They should be toasted within 5 minutes.
2) Combine turkey, celery, apple, and toasted walnuts in a large bowl.
3) Add lemon juice, mayo, salt/pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
4) Stir everything until well combined.
5) Serve on toast, with crackers, or just by itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment