Sunday, February 22, 2015

Portabello Mushroom Salad with Butternut Squash and Wild Rice





I have a new obsession that I have to tell you about.. It's the restaurant, Sweetgreen. Sweetgreen is a "fast food" restaurant that specializes in delicious and nutritious salads. Everything is always fresh, well-sourced, and amazing. 

One of their seasonal salads right now is called "Portobello, Squash, and Wild Rice Bowl." It is seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten. I decided to try and recreate it. Even though it's not as good as the original, it's pretty darn yummy.




I know I've mentioned before how challenging it is for me to decide what to bring to work for lunch. I get bored of things so quickly, and it's always a challenge to come up with something new and exciting.

After tasting Sweetgreen's salad, I knew right away that I would make my own version and bring it to work all week long this week :)

To find out all of the health benefits of Portobello mushrooms, check out one of my other recipes here.




Ingredients:
6 cups spring mix
 2 cups arugula 
1 cup sliced baby Portobello mushrooms
 3 cups butternut squash chunks
 1 onion, diced
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup chopped basil
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup dry wild rice mix
salt/pepper to taste

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
2) Cook wild rice to package instructions.
3) Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
4) Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil. 
5) Add onions into skillet and reduce heat to medium/low. Cook onions until caramelized- about 40-50 minutes. 
6) Place mushrooms and squash on 2 baking sheets lined with foil. Coat them with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt/pepper and use your hands to combine.
7) Roast veggies for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. 
8) Prepare salad- place spring mix and arugula in a bowl, add squash, mushrooms, rice, and onion.
9) Serve with your favorite dressing. (I just used a little lemon juice and olive oil)
*Recipe makes about 5 salads


No comments:

Post a Comment