Sunday, February 8, 2015

Southwestern Black Bean, Tomato, and Avocado Salad



Growing up, I remember my parents were always social butterflies. They hung out with their friends a lot and seemed to have a lot of dinner parties. When my parents were invited over to someone else's house, my mom would always prepare part of the meal to bring over. She always taught me that you can never go to someone's house empty handed. If you don't want to cook something you should either bring chocolate or flowers- just something to show your appreciation.

When our friends invited us over for dinner the other night, I knew I wanted to cook something to bring over. I was looking for something I could make a few hours ahead of time and store in the fridge until it was time to head over. 



My friends happen to LOVE avocados and Southwestern flavors, so I decided to make a yummy and healthy Southwestern salad. 

This is the EASIEST salad to make and it's so simple, yet so delicious. The lime juice really coats the avocados well and prevents them from browning so you can make this hours in advance. 



The cherry tomatoes in this recipe are the superfood I want to tell you about. Tomatoes provide Lycopene which is what makes them that brilliant red color. Lyocpene is linked to good bone health and may help prevent against osteoporosis. Lyocpene is also said to reduce the risk of getting certain cancers such as prostate cancer and pancreatic cancer. 




Ingredients:
1 pint cherry tomatoes- halved
1 can black beans- rinsed and drained
1.5 cups frozen corn kernels- thawed
1 avocado- diced
2 limes- juiced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Directions:
1) Combine cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, and avocado in a serving dish.
2) Make the dressing by juicing the limes, adding the olive oil and the spices. 
3) Whisk dressing together and pour over salad.
4) Allow salad to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
5) Serve with tortilla chips to dip!


No comments:

Post a Comment