Thursday, October 1, 2015

Mediterranean Pasta with Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes






I am SO excited about this recipe. It combines all of my favorite foods into one tangy and delicious pasta dish. I am also so excited about this recipe because the eggplant and cherry tomatoes were freshly picked from a farm by yours truly! My husband and I went apple picking recently, and it just so happened it was a farm where we could pick our own vegetables. 

We found the most unbelievably delicious cherry tomatoes and beautiful Japanese eggplant. As soon as we picked these I knew instantly I had to make a farm fresh pasta out of them. 



We topped our pasta with jumbo shrimp from Whole Foods but you could use any protein you want: chicken, pork, scallops- you name it. You can also eat it without an added protein and you'll be plenty satisfied!

I talk about how I love to cook with local ingredients and this meal really proves that. I would encourage you all to find fresh produce at your local farmer's market and design meals around that instead of the other way around.



Tomatoes are my superfood of the week. Tomatoes contain lycopene which is said to prevent many types of cancers and promote good skin health. They are also a good source of calcium and Vitamin K which help maintain strong and healthy bones. Lastly, tomatoes are a heart healthy food due to their high levels of Vitamin B. Vitamin B helps reduce bad cholesterol and lower blood pressure.



Ingredients:
1 large (or 3 small) eggplants- diced
2 cloves of garlic- minced
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes- sliced
1/2 cup feta- cubed
1/4 cup pitted olives
salt/pepper to taste
1 lb. whole wheat bow ties


Directions:
1) Cook pasta just shy of al dente. 
2) In a large pan heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. 
3) Add eggplant to garlic and oil and cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add salt/pepper to taste. 
4) Turn heat to low an add cook pasta, tomatoes, feta, and olives. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until everything is heated through.
5) Add additional salt/pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment