Monday, November 23, 2015

Israeli Couscous with Zesty Greek Vinaigrette





I've recently become obsessed with making side dishes that combine veggies and grains together. I love the concept of making one dish that can serve as the starch and the vegetable to my dinner. My friend had been talking to me about Israeli couscous for a little while now and was actually kind enough to buy me a box from Trader Joe's. She told me she loves combining spinach, olives and feta in it to make a Greek inspired dish. I decided to use this idea as inspiration to create my own version. 




I added cherry tomatoes because they looked so pretty at the grocery store. I also used arugula instead of spinach because I thought the lemony pepper bite it has would go perfectly with the other ingredients. I then made a vinaigrette with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and red pepper flakes to give the couscous a zing. It came out super flavorful and delicious and was seriously the easiest thing ever. 






Arugula is my superfood this week and if you're curious about its health benefits check out my recipe for Arugula Salad with Pears, Beets, and Candied Almonds




Ingredients

8 oz. Israeli Couscous
1 cup cherry tomatoes- sliced
3/4 cup feta- cubed
1/2 cup black olives- sliced
4 cups arugula
1/2 lemon- juiced 
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. oregano 
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes


Directions:

1) Cook couscous according to package instructions.
2) Make vinaigrette buy whisking 1 tbsp. olive oil, lemon juice, and spices together in a small bowl.
3) Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan.
4) Add arugula and let wilt for a minute.
5) Add cherry tomatoes and black olives and cook for a minute or until warmed through.
6) Turn off the heat and add the couscous, feta, and vinaigrette. 
7) Stir to combine and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment