Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mason Jar Salad with Butternut Squash, Beets and Farro



I have recently become obsessed with making my lunches in mason jars. It's so convenient to have these little jars ready for me on the weekday mornings to take to work. The jars are also pretty and appealing and make me excited to eat my lunch. 


I've been experimenting with all different kinds of mason jar lunches- both hot and cold. In this particular recipe, I decided to do a cold salad with butternut squash as the star ingredient. I roasted it and combined it with farro, beets, crunchy walnuts, apples and Parmesan cheese. I decided an apple cider vinaigrette would work well for the dressing since there are apples in the salad and it came out absolutely perfect. 

Similar to my other recipes, this one is extremely versatile. Feel free to swap out different greens, different nuts, different cheese- whatever makes you happy. This is a feel good salad and you should adjust the ingredients until you make it just right for yourself!



My superfood of the week is butternut squash which I have featured in another recipe. Click here. to learn more about its nutritional value.


Ingredients:
1 lb. cubed butternut squash
4 small cooked beets- diced
1 apple- sliced
1 cup cooked farro
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup walnuts
Ingredients for dressing:
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt/pepper to taste

Directions
1) Cook farro according to package instructions.
2) Prepare vinaigrette by combining olive oil, vinegar and salt/pepper.
2) Layer the salad in this order in 4 mason jars: salad dressing, apple slices, beets, butternut squash, farro, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, and spinach.
3) When ready to eat, turn the jar upside down for a few minutes to allow dressing to coat the entire salad.
4) Eat and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment