Thursday, June 23, 2016

Power Quinoa Breakfast Bowls




Breakfast- the most important meal of the day.It also happens to be my favorite meal of the day, but I must say planning what I'm going to each each morning gets exhausting. From a nutritional point of view, breakfast is supposed to contain protein and fiber to keep you full and satiated and ready to take on the day. I try to make myself a well balanced each morning- but I get sick of things quickly, so I'm always trying to switch it up,




My husband and I have been on a bit of a hard-boiled egg kick lately. We boil a dozen for the week and throw them in salads and eat them for snacks. They're great to eat for breakfast as well- and it's so convenient when you already have some in the fridge!




I came across a similar recipe to this one on pinterest and decided I needed to recreate my own version. I used quinoa as the base- but you could use whatever grain you like. I topped the bowls with the eggs, a spoonful of pesto, a few pieces of avocado and some cherry tomatoes for some color.

I've been buying my pesto at the whole foods salad bar lately- cheating I know! I checked out the ingredient list, however, and it's completely clean so I feel no guilt. If you want to make homemade pesto and are looking for as good recipe- check out my avocado pesto recipe here.




Quinoa is an amazing superfood. Click here to find out about its wonderful health properties.


Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs (directions on the perfect hard boiled egg below)- sliced
1 cup cooked quinoa
6 cherry tomatoes- sliced
2 tbsp. pesto
1/2 avocado- sliced

Directions:
1) Split cooked quinoa among 2 bowls
2) Top each bowl with sliced eggs, avocado, tomatoes and a tbsp. of pesto
Enjoy!
*Recipe makes 2 servings 

Hard boiled egg instructions:
1) Place eggs in pot. Add enough water to cover the eggs and add a sprinkle of sea salt. 
2) Bring pot and eggs to a boil.
3) Once boiling, remove from heat and sit for 8-9 minutes with lid on.
4) Remove eggs and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking
5) Peel and enjoy!
*Eggs will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator 

No comments:

Post a Comment